About compact bulbs and laziness?

Okay, let's face facts. Global Warming, real or not, is not an issue that is going to go away. A few countries have banned incandescent bulbs in favor of the "enviromentally friendly" compact fluorescents.

Now, cfbs contain mercury. Yes, I know, each bulb contains about 5mg (a period mark on a piece of paper worth). I am aware of this. However, how are we going to dispose of them properly? What's going to happen 20-30 years from now when our land fills, which already seep methane gases, become filled with mercury as well. What happens when Mercury and Methance combine, and some one decides to light up near by?

I am, believe it or not, being serious. We've known about the 3 r's for how long now, and yet the majority of the country (US and others) do not do any of the three.

I don't think there's much difference in the environmental impact. It's just trading one evil for another (much like our electoral process lol). I don't agree with the bans because I think we should have the choice. CFLs save electricity and don't need replacing as often, but some people are sensitive to them and can have migraines or skin lesions (such as sufferers of PCT and discoid lupus) or even seizures. Some people just prefer the softer light of incandescent bulbs. I don't see that CFLs save enough to justify a ban on incandescent bulbs.
these bulbs should be disposed of like batteries and not regular waste. most areas have a day or 2 every year for hazardous waste at a local dump. if you cant wait for those days or just dont have them some places that sell car batteries may take them.
They are environmentally friendly. Using compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) actually reduces mercury pollution. Here's why.

Fossil fuels contain mercury. Using incandescent bulbs causes more mercury to be emitted from power plants. More than the tiny amount (0.005 grams or less) that is in a CFL.

And that mercury is blown into the air where it falls onto land and in the water where it can move. A CFL is disposed in a landfill which is lined with plastic. Water seeping through it is collected and treated.

So, your choice is putting a tiny amount of mercury in a secure landfill or blowing a larger amount of mercury in the air. Do the math.

It's better if you dispose of old CFLs properly so that even the tiny amount of mercury is not put in a landfill. But, no matter how they're disposed of, CFLs reduce mercury pollution.


The answers post by the user, for information only, FunQA.com does not guarantee the right.

More Questions and Answers:
  • Why did we stop with the old recyclable glass soda bottles and deposits?
  • What is a type 18 fire?
  • How much does the UK import from China?
  • Is Global Warming causing jumbo squid to invade California?
  • The food chain could you imagine being born just to be part of the food chain?
  • Do you feel vindicated since the "live earth" concert was a vile, obscene, non-event?
  • Can anyone offer any tips/advice/etc. about purchasing/starting/running a Bed and Breakfast?
  • Has anyone ever done a cost-benefit analysis of the Kyoto accord?
  • What website can I use to find out what is polluting the air in my town?