After I get my Masters in Psychology, can I get my license to work as a psychologist?

Or is there something else I must do first?

It varies from state to state. In Pennsylvania, you used to be able to take the test to be licensed as a psychologist with an M.A. or an M.S. in Psychology, but the law was changed to require a Ph. D., Ed. D., or a Psy. D. to be licensed.

However, you can be licensed in Pennsylvania to be a "school psychologist" with a masters degree.
No, to be a psychologist you have to get a Ph.D. in Psychology.
depending on the state you live in, you can get licensed with a Master's in psychology to be a THERAPIST. Ohio does not license at the Master's level, Kentucky does... so check out the requirements in your state.

By definition a "psychologist" has a doctorate (PhD, PsyD, EdD), you cannot call yourself a psychologist with a Master's (that's what i have).
This is how it works in California - I don't know where you are from, but it is probably similar.

If you get a masters in psychology, you have to get 3000 hours of supervised experience in order to take your test for licensure as a marriage and family therapist - you can get up to 1300 of these hours before you finish your degree, but most people get around 500.

If you get a PhD in psychology, you have to get 3000 hours of supervised experience, with 1500 of these hours post doctorate to get your license as a psychologist. You usually get 1500 hours by graduation.

In both instances - you get some of this experience before graduation and after. It takes about two years after graduation to be able to qualify to take either test for licensure.

The answers post by the user, for information only, does not guarantee the right.

More Questions and Answers:
  • Who would want to be around this person for 6 months?
  • How do you conquer indifference?
  • I'm obsessed with diet, food, and weight.?
  • Should your hobby become your profession?
  • The only one...?
  • Tomorrow i have a presentation in my class and i stutter.can any1 give me any tips about what should i do??
  • Could my partner also be a deceiver?
  • What should I do?
  • Does anyone know of any psychology and counselling careers that train you on the job?